She's got fricatives*! V is mimicking all kinds of words and sounds now. It seems to be the big thing, in fact. In English she says toes, cheese, and other words I cannot seem to conjure up at the moment. Of course she doesn't have perfect pronunciation, but the fricatives are definitely there. In Swedish she says ljus 'light.'
I have noticed that the vowels seem quite hit and miss. Today, for example, we were looking at a book about what things make what sounds, and when I said "beep beep," her version was "bap bap."
Communication seems very important for her. She enjoys social situations. She says hej in Swedish now, which means hello, and she says bye bye in English. Of course she also waves hello and goodbye a lot.
*This is a term I realize might not be familiar for nonlinguistics (ie, normal people). I usually tell my introductory students that a fricative is any sound they can use to describe air coming out of a tire: ssss, zzzzz, ffffff, thhhhhh, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment