Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Still 11 months

I think V may have said her first sentence yesterday. Is that possible?

Here's the situation: V's favorite word is "bread." She loves food, so every possible thing to eat is "bread" -- everything from bananas to cereal to water. She also likes to point at everything and says, "there," or at least that's what I like to think. It sounds more like "der."

Yesterday we came back from a long day that involved several hours on a train. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home and I bought some bananas and whatnot. The bananas were in my shoulder bag, and on the way home Vera, who was very hungry, kept pointing and saying, "There's bread."

V's first sentence! Or at least fanciful thinking on my part. At any rate, it is interesting to contrast this with her sister's first sentence in English.

V's older sister was just about to turn three when I met her. At that time, she spoke Finnish with her mother and Swedish with her father. She lived most of the time with her mother. When I entered the picture, I spoke Finnish with her at first, but quickly changed to English. This caused V's sister some frustration, but we soon moved past it, and, one year later, I remember very clearly when she uttered her first full sentence in English. We were staying at a very rustic little cabin near the sea, and I asked her "Where's your daddy?" She responded, with a funny little twinkle in her eye, "Daddy's ----ing." I was so proud of her first fully formed, grammatical English sentence! And, at age three, she had a full understanding of potty humour. Funny girl.

My husband hates that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment