Thursday, July 22, 2010

The long and short of it

I forgot to mention previously that V has a lot of adjectives--at least in English, possibly in her other languages: big, little, hot, cold, soft, hard, etc. She also seems to have a couple of adverbials: over there, up there, down there, etc.

Today she surprised me by counting out loud in Finnish. No kidding. She was looking at a page from a book, and all of the sudden she said, "Seitsemän (seven)." Then she said, "Seven." OK, I really don't think she knows that seitsemän and seven mean the same thing in different languages; it's probably just a coincidence that she said both things back-to-back. (Really, I may be a proud mamma, but I'm not delusional.) She then started from the beginning: "Yksi, kaksi, kolme ..." Then her pappa came in, and she said, "Sex!" Now, in case you might think that this is a really weird thing for her to say to her father, keep in mind that sex means 'six' in Swedish. It also means the same thing that sex means in English, so rest assured there are plenty of puns in Swedish about the number 6.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Reminds me of the time she said something about loving her pappa's "cake".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mean the time when V's big sister confused the Swedish word for chef with the English word. She said, "My daddy is the best ---- in Finland." Ouch! I wince just thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete