V just gave me what I am sure is only the first of many language lessons. The thing is, she already pretty much speaks better Swedish and Finnish than me, and the chasm in our abilities will only continue to grow. I am sure my language skills in both of these languages will serve as a source of embarrassment for her in the future. That's the case with plenty of foreign moms I know here.
But here is what happened. I just handed her bear, and she said, "Thank you." Then she followed up with "Kiitos," then "Tack." OK, so here is a pretty clear demonstration that she knows very well that all three of these terms mean the same thing. So was she trying to help her poor, linguistically deprived mother? Like I said, this lesson is likely the first of many.
hahaha, my twins utter "Yada(Japanese), no, nej(Swedish), inte(Swedish), stop!" to make sure everyone around them can understand when they are upset.
ReplyDelete